The Wizard101 Spiral
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wizard101 Spiral

All about the Wizard101 Spiral!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Our new Fansite
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 11:39 pm by laminrk

» We need YOU! :)
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 11:49 pm by laminrk

» The Wizard101 Spiral Commercial
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm by laminrk

» Wizard101 Spiral Commercial
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 2:20 pm by Cody

» Who here likes to level?
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 11:18 pm by laminrk

» Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:26 pm by laminrk

» How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way)
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm by Holy Heart

» The Spiral Update
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 4:45 pm by Holy Heart

» The Spiral Update is looking for applicants!
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 3:59 pm by Holy Heart

How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Grace Shadowheart
Novice Wizard
Novice Wizard

Crowns : 4447

How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) Empty
PostSubject: How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way)   How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 4:59 am

Hi there! This is a tutorial for all GIMP users out there!

Text or Image this works on both.

Step 1:
Make your text/image. (In my example I will be using both)

Make sure the layer takes up the whole size of the graphic.
(Looking at wizard not text.)

This:

How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) Iaza12263545460200

Not This:

How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) Iaza12263543157600

How to make it a full layer:

1) Click the button that looks like a page in the layer box.
(1.5: A box should pop up, make sure the box checked is transparent then click creat new layer)
2) You have a new layer.
3) Right click on the layer(Make sure its above the layer that isn't "full"
4) Click merge down.
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) Iaza12263554276700

NOTE: Text boxes are always impartial layers. The reason you need them to be the full size of the graphic size you want to end with is because it will crop when you go to make it glow.

Step 2:

Duplicate the layer you want to glow. Click on either layers. Then go to
Filters>Alpha To Logo> Neon.

How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) Iaza12263513968400

You should get a box like this:

How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) Iaza12263592425500

Step 3:
Change the color and the glow density. I wouldn't go less then 25 or more then 50, but it depends on what your looking for.

Step 4:
This is why you needed to duplicate your original image you wanted to glow. It deletes the layer your using and replaces it with Neon Tubes an Neon Glow. Make sure(if not already) to move the original image over the Tubes and Glow.
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) Iaza12263545959300

Step 5:
Play around with it! If the glow is too much try making that layer invisible and see how it looks with just the tubes, or not use the tubes at all! To get different effects (like fire and ice) play around with different glow colors and the opacity.
This is something I made with just brushes and the neon (glow). I wanted a fire effect and I think it turned out well.
How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) Iaza12263538511700

Hope this helps!

[Sorry for the big images, I sorta made this in the middle of the night and the images I made in a rush.]
Back to top Go down
Holy Heart
Site Artist
Site Artist
Holy Heart

Crowns : 14620

How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way)   How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Great guide! Another way is to do a drop shadow, with the X and Y radiuses(radiai?) to be 0, and then duplicate it as many times.
Or, to do Alpha to Selection>New Layer>Fill it with white>Guassian Blur of 45+>dupilcate as many times needed ^^
Back to top Go down

How to get a glow effect in GIMP (My way)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Wizard101 Spiral :: Arts and Graphics :: Arts and Graphics Guides-
Jump to: